Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Universal Studios – Wednesday (day 3)

We woke up still riding the wand high from the day before. We were again excited to get an early start. Universal Studios is very different than Islands of Adventure, there are exciting rides, but a lot more movie-ish attractions too.

From the park entrance we ran to the Rockit rollercoaster. The line was short enough that we missed most of the instruction by the super cool animated teenagers. Not a huge deal, but when I sat down in my seat, pulled down the lap bar, and stared at the music selection touch screen I was unprepared to make my decision. I didn’t love any of the genres, so being pressed for time I took a shot on Classic Rock/Metal hoping I could find something I liked. I chose “Gimme All Your Lovin’” by ZZ Top. It was an enjoyable addition to my ride. My wife thoroughly enjoyed her selection of “Livin in Fast Forward” by Kenny Chesney; she’s a country girl at heart. The best part of Rockit is the beginning where you blastoff facing straight up through rings that remind you of a real rocket launch pad. And what goes up must come down, and Rockit does come down in a rush towards exciting twists, turns and loops. The second best part of Rockit is watching videos of yourself, and people around you, once you get off the ride. Our facial expressions were hilarious. Rockit was a solid lock in our top five favorite rides overall.

We picked a good day to visit Universal Studios because it didn’t feel like there were very many people in the park at all, completely different from the day before at Islands of Adventure. Our next target was the Revenge of the Mummy. It was close by and I knew my daughter would like it. Unfortunately they were having some mechanical problems with the ride so we couldn’t ride at that time. Walking away from the Mummy we were approached by a man working in the park – watch out they like to do a lot of surveys. Because we didn’t really have a destination at that moment we fell for his trap to screen a new television program. After answering more questions than you can shake a stick at (right now I’m visualizing Howie Mandel shaking a stick while the guy is asking us questions, and before the guy is done Howie gets tired and stops) we were plunked down in front of a monitor placing headphones on our heads. More questions on the computer before the actual screening took place, then finally we watched a new show called “Love in the Wild.” I’m embarrassed to admit that I kind of liked the show, but I blame my wife because she makes me watch a lot of other shows like it. Love in the Wild is a cross between the Bachelor and Survivor – it was funny watching how the couples handled the jungles of Costa Rica. After more than an hour, and more questions on the computer after the show, we were done. They paid my wife and me $15 for our effort. But I regret taking so much of my daughter’s time this way. She was stuck in there for an hour watching “Deal or No Deal,” the park outside beckoning to her. If they could have hooked her up with Nickelodeon she’d have been much happier. My recommendation when approached by a park worker at Universal Studios is to ask them how long whatever they want you to do will take, and if you don’t want to use your time that way, politely say “No thank you.” Word!

There was some good news, by the time we were done with the screening the Mummy was up and running. Plus, the line was super short. My daughter was a little scared walking into it, the line has some scary images along the way. But, hey, it’s the Mummy right – it’s not Little Red Riding Hood. My daughter’s comment when we got off the ride, “Worth it.” We hit the Mummy several more times during our week on vacation. The Mummy was our favorite place to warm up after getting soaked by rain – there’s a spot on the ride where the entire ceiling is on fire.

We walked through New York towards San Francisco/Amity. On the way we decided to try the Disaster experience. It’s not really a ride, it’s one of those movie-ish things I was talking about. The best part about Disaster was the extremely enthusiastic girl leading our experience. I really wanted my daughter to volunteer to participate, but for some reason she was timid that day. The attraction takes at least 20 minutes, so even though we were at the front of the line it didn’t move very fast. I think my daughter enjoyed it, especially the movie at the end which included some audience volunteers, and us as extras. It’s worth trying at least once.

When we found the Jaws attraction in Amity it had started to rain. We worried they’d stop the ride, but instead they kept announcing “You will get wet, if this is not in your best interest” get the heck out of the line, or something similar to that. I remember when Jaws came out in movie theaters when I was a kid. I had read the book and I was excited to be scared – that movie didn’t disappoint. So, I enjoyed the ride more than my daughter who didn’t have the same attachment to Jaws that I did. She didn’t hate the ride, she just didn’t love it either. I don’t think she’s even seen the movie.

We ran between rides to avoid getting soaked. MIB (Men in Black) was a great place to be while it was raining outside. This is a fun and competitive ride. You get to shoot aliens during while you ride. And if Will Smith says you’re not so good at the end, well then, you need to ride it again until he proclaims you the best agents. So we did.

When the rain let up a little we went over to The Simpsons Ride. The Simpson’s is one of my guilty pleasures. My daughter and I laughed through the videos played while waiting in line, especially the ones right before you get on the ride. And we laughed through the entire ride. It was definitely the ride we quoted lines from most often, “I’m not changing that diaper,” was one of our favorites spoken by Homer when Maggie grows fifty feet tall after being exposed to radiation. It’s much funnier there than my description here, trust me. There is a full sized Kwik-E-Mart right outside the ride, one of the more unique gift shops.

We ate lunch at the International Food and Film Festival restaurant mainly because it had a nice variety of options. Once again it was expensive but mostly good food. Our afternoon was spent on/in ET, the Terminator, Animal Actors on Location, Shrek 4-D, and Beetlejuice’s Graveyard Revue, then repeats of the Mummy and MIB. We wanted to ride Rockit again but it was closed, I assume because of the rain. Of the things we did in the afternoon I enjoyed Shrek, the Mummy and MIB the most. The others were good though.

There were other movie-ish things we could have done, but by the end of the day we started dragging. I think the biggest reason was the rain. We had to run through a downpour from the Terminator to get to the Animal Actors on Location and our shoes got soaked in the process. When we found out Rockit was not going to be operational for the rest of the day, and we were within an hour of Universal Studios closing, we park hopped over to Islands of Adventure. It stays open an hour later so we had enough time to ride the Forbidden Journey and the Dragon Challenge – the lines were perfectly short then too.

No comments: